Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Free Skin Cancer Screenings - Check your State

Aveeno and Rite Aid have teamed up to provide free skin cancer screenings across the U.S. These free skin cancer screenings are provided by local dermatologists, so you know you are getting an expert taking a look at your skin who knows what is suspicious and what is not.

Though the tour is part way through, you may be lucky and have an upcoming event near you. Be sure to look by your state to see if you can have a screening done gratis.

I keep an eye on my skin, mainly because I am very pale. I freckle at the first hint of sun and have had my share of bad burns. I don't tan - or if I do, it is very faint. I was always jealous of those who had tan-tastic bodies while mine went from lobster red back to pale white, with a stop in between to do some hideous molting. I actually peeled very badly (and was still peeling) at my junior prom.

On a more personal note, I have lost someone to skin cancer. My grandfather had a suspicious sore on his ear and assumed it was his glasses rubbing the wrong way. He let it go and the cancer spread. He did go through radiation and actually had his ear taken off and had a skin graft from his backside put on. In the end, skin cancer took his life and it wasn't a pretty sight to see.

So.... get your skin checked for free if you can. The life you save may be your own.

No comments: