Monday, June 17, 2013

Orrington Farms Turkey Flavored Gravy Mix #GlutenFree #gf

In my quest to find convenience foods that are gluten free, I have tried many, many gravy mixes that just weren't very palatable.  During a recent trip to a Kroger, my husband spied Orrington Farms Turkey Flavored Gravy Mix.  He asked me if I wanted to give it a try and I shrugged and said, "Why not."  It wasn't a product I normally stumble upon at my regular grocery store haunts and for me, if I can find a product I love, I'm willing to drive out of my way to get it.

To put it in another way... when I go to my sister's at Thanksgiving, I make my own gravy.  Her husband prefers jarred gravy, so I gather up the drippings, add some broth, and make my own so I don't have to go without.  You don't realize how much you miss convenience until you are forced to make things from scratch or go without.

How did Orrington Farms Turkey Flavored Gravy Mix taste?  Surprisingly good!  I prepared it using the broth/drippings from pork tenderloins that I baked, making a delicious gravy that I could whip up in a jiffy, with no lumps.  I tasted like turkey and passed the leftovers test.  (The leftovers test is  where you clean up the table and decide what goes in the fridge and what doesn't.  If it didn't taste good enough that someone might want it later, it gets tossed. I have had many a gravy go down the drain instead of into the fridge. This gravy made it into the fridge, an astonishing feat, let me tell you.)

Next up, I plan to use this product for a turkey pot pie the next time we have turkey leftovers.

Note:  If your store doesn't carry Orrington Farms products, you can purchase them online via their site, though I have seen them able to be purchased in bulk on Walmart.com's site as well. 


Disclosure:  I purchased this product on my own and was not compensated to write a review.  I am sharing my experience with this gluten free product since I know first hand how important reviews can be to those who eat a gluten free diet.

No comments: