Monday, September 08, 2014

Make your own chicken stock (plus a plug for a friend of mine...)

Our homeschool day complete, I sit here at my table enjoying some computer time, I can smell the scent of chicken broth on the stove.  It is starting to smell very appetizing, which reminds me that two no bake cookies isn't really much of a breakfast/lunch.

If I were honest, I would tell you that I'm not a fabulous cook at all.  In fact, just last night, this exchange occurred.

9 year old:  "Mom, I just want to tell you that I enjoyed dinner.  If I was going to say one bad thing about it, I would say the meat was a little tough."

Me: "That's nice buddy."  This is the 2nd time in a week he has had a critique.

Hubby: "Stephen! You don't tell mommy that." 

I sure didn't ask anyone at the table to rate me on a 5-star system.  I had just complained to my husband that when people complain about my cooking, it doesn't make me want to cook.  At all. 

So, I rely on other people who are better cooks than me.  I know my Achilles heel and it's definitely inspired cuisine.  I am often looking online for inspiration or ways to shake up the same old dinners that I can make well.  My friend, Angie, a Chartered Accountant in Canada, is actually going to chef school.  I've spent many a day looking at her posts on Facebook of what she's cooked or baked.  She blogs over at The Good (& Simple) Life when she has time.  She has posted a fabulous stock recipe that's easy peasy. 

So don't throw out your turkey carcass come Thanksgiving because you'll be missing out on an awesome opportunity to make your own stock for use in soups and gravies later on.

No comments: