Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Keurig Kold Drinkmaker: Make your own name brand soda at home for $350 (plus pods)

I saw some articles in my news feed about the new Keurig Kold, which will make you your favorite name-brand bevvies at home.  I checked it out at the Keurig site. The list price is $369.99, but drops to $349.99 once you add it to your cart.  The pods, four per pack, are also sold on their site at $4.99.  Each pod makes 8 ounces, so it's one expensive Coke, Diet Coke, or Sprite you would be making. 

The machine doesn't rely on Co2 canisters.  I do have a Soda Stream and the tanks were a pain.  Once you are out, you would have to exchange them and, for me, that meant a trip to one of two places in a larger city where I could exchange them. So no reliance on Co2 tanks is a plus. 

The price, frankly, frightens me!  I scrolled through some reviews and found that people liked the taste of the soda.  However, I just don't see myself paying $350 for a machine that provides me with over-priced soda.  8 ounces is the serving size and that's actually less than what you'd get in a 12 ounce can of your favorite soda anyway.  Unless these special pods went on major sale, I just don't see the economic benefit of having the machine vs. catching a soda sale at your local grocery store.

As for me, I would rather see this concept integrated into a state of the art refrigerator. I don't need another counter space hog.  But it would definitely have to be cheaper or the same as buying pop at a store for me to seriously consider having one.

What do you think?  Could you drop $350 on a soda machine? 

No comments: