Saturday, May 21, 2011

Bella Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Mix Review

As you may know, I eat gluten free.  This requires me to rely a lot on gluten free companies for those things that you might take for granted, such as a sack of flour.  Regular flour is available at just about every grocery store, but gluten free flours generally aren't.  As such, I have to get my gluten free flours in specialty grocery stores quite a distance away or online.  I recently was given the opportunity to try out Bella Gluten-Free's All Purpose Baking Mix, which is available to order online.  I first learned about Bella Gluten-Free via Living Without, a magazine that caters to those of us with food allergies and sensitivities.  went to Bella Gluten-Free's website and found that the founder, a chef, suffers from celiac herself.  Just looking at the pictures of the gluten free foods on her site made me salivate.

Bella Gluten-Free's All Purpose Baking Mix is a good fit for individuals with food sensitivities.  It's Wheat free, gluten free, soy free, nut (including peanut) free, egg free, lactose/casein free and has no modified starches or GMOs.  In short, it is perfect for me since I avoid wheat and avoid a lot of dairy.

I used the All Purpose Baking Mix to make pancakes (on more than one occasion) and also to make muffins.  It can also be used to make biscuits, pie crusts, crepes and more, but I used it for those food items that I make most for myself.  Here's some pictures of what I made (mis-shapen pancakes are all my fault - I'm not the handiest in the kitchen).

Pancakes!

Blueberry Muffins- chock full of blueberries.  I cut the recipe in half.

Yummy.  I really liked that I was the one putting milk (or not) into these recipes.  For the pancakes, I used water, since I could use 1 cup of water, milk, buttermilk or other alternative.  At the time, my daughter had a friend over who's celiac and lactose intolerant, so I opted to just use water.  She loved the pancakes and kept complimenting me on how much she liked them.  I was going to save the left overs for later, but when the kids came back for lunch, she asked if she could finish them.  I guess she really, really liked them!

For the blueberry muffins, I decided to cut the recipe in half.  I yielded an extra muffin, probably because I used a lot of blueberries in the mix.  I like that I can cut a recipe in half since no one else in my house has to eat gluten free.  While I could freeze the left overs, they do taste best when they're fresh and being able to cut a recipe easily in half works for me.

In short, I loved Bella Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Mix.  Not only do the recipes on the back of the package turn out great, but you can use the mix cup for cup in your own recipes.  You can order online at www.bellaglutenfree.com.  Be sure to check out their starter pack!

Disclosure:  Bella Gluten-Free provided me with samples at no cost to me to facilitate this review.  I did not receive compensation to make this blog post.  The opinions expressed herein are 100% my own or based on comments/observations of others who also sampled the product.

Related reviews:

Bella Gluten-Free Pizza Dough, Rolls & Focaccia Mix

4 comments:

Sugarpuffish said...

This looks really good, I have to follow a milk & egg free diet and my sister is gluten free, I'm guessing this is a US brand as not seen here in UK?

Pinching Abe said...

Yes, it is a US Brand. Sorry. You could contact her about shipping rates to the UK though.

gluten free online said...

Big love from Scotland to you.

free samples and freebies said...

Nice information, many thanks to the author. It is incomprehensible to me now, but in general, the usefulness and significance is overwhelming. Thanks again and good luck!