Sunday, February 06, 2011

The importance of updated GPS maps...

The maps that you have for your GPS may not be current.  This isn't something you necessarily think about before venturing out, but it is something to consider.

I had to pick my hubby up from the airport yesterday in DC.  I got most of the way there without much incident, but when the GPS told me to take exit (number) B/A, I was at a loss.  I was relying on him to get my directionally challenged self to the airport on time.  What I didn't know was that these exits had been split off from each other at some point, so they were totally separate exits.  This left me with little time to decide whether he meant A or B and by then, I'd blown by.

"Recalculating!"  He seemed to scream at me.  I began to wonder if the next generation of GPS would include phrases such as, "You're an idiot, I said turn left!" or some other such thing.  I would like to recommend developers create a setting for the intensely nervous and directionally challenged folks that include more coddling.  In heavy traffic, getting right in a half a mile is sometimes difficult, especially with the ultra-aggressive DC crowd.  Saying things like, "Yes, you're going the right way" or "You can relax now" would be ideal for me! 

I made it to the airport with a bit of time to spare, though if my GPS were a real person, we might have come to blows.  He told me to stay left and then suddenly I had to cross 3 lanes to exit.  He did this to me several times.  If everyone is relying on their GPS for good directions, it is no wonder people cut you off!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Following you back from Real adventures from a mom of 3.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Following you back! Thanks! Added you to my twitter also ;0)

http://livinglifephotographically.blogspot.com/

Aimee said...

I have to agree ~ the one time I used my husband's GPS it was using an outdated map and the street it told us to turn on was no longer there. Gotta laugh! Thanks for stopping by & following me ~ I'm following you back!

Have a great Sunday!

Aimee @
Justkiddingaroundatlanta.blogspot.com

Renae said...

I know how you feel. My boyfriend's GPS has maps that are 3-4 years old and they stopped putting out updates.

The other day we were looking for a Wal-Mart and it directed us to the on ramp of a highway. At that point we figured out it had no idea where it was taking us.

Texas Type A Mom said...

Hey there! Thanks for the follow - I'm already following you! :)
www.texastypeamom.com

Marie said...

Thanks for coming to visit my blog -- I'm following you back!

I don't have GPS but my husband does -- he really likes it. However, I would definitely need a more "sensitive" version that gave a bit more coddling because I'm terribly directionally challenged and I get nervous if I think I'm lost -- so I'm with you -- give me one that can give more warning and talk gently :-)

LaVonne said...

I need to update my GPS. :) Thanks for reminding me.

Thank you for coming by my blog and following. I appreciate it. Stop by again anytime.

Blessings and Happy Week!

SisWins said...

I highly agree about updating. When I went to get updates I discovered it was $60 for a single update or about $85 (on Amazon) for lifetime updates. The Lifetime updates are for a single device for the lifetime of that device. Unless yours is on it's last leg, it's a good deal, especially if you depend on it like I do. There is always construction changing things and so far it's been pretty accurate. Updates on Garmin are offered quarterly and are easy to install.

Danielle S said...

Very interesting read

Missy said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! And yes, they can cuss at you- if you allow them to. My husband downloaded a voice from this creepy only man from Family Guy and he calls him a "Piggly son-of-a-b****." Pretty hilarious!