Here are some tips to use to make free excursion cheaper for you!
- Eat before you go. If it is a local museum, eating before you go can help keep the munchies at bay, which tempt you to buy overpriced convenience food.
- If you're allowed, take your own water or beverage. $2-$2.50 for a bottle of water or pop is really expensive. Multiply that times 4 for a family of 4 and you have just spent $10 on drinks.
- Avoid the gift shop. This is easier said than done, but in all honesty, snapping your own photos is a much better souvenir. Besides, do you really want your child falling in love with a $75 Lego toy they just have to have?
- If you're out of town, eat somewhere nice and have your little ones split the kiddie meal. Really, the portion sizes for these meals are far too large for an average child. Have your kids split a meal and supplement with other sides.
- If it is a local museum, go after dinner when every one is full. Remember, free admission is all summer, so there's no rush or need to feel like you have to spend the whole day there.