Thursday, June 16, 2011

Extreme Penny Pinching - What are you doing to the extreme?

I ran across this interesting montage of Penny Pinching stories over at CNN Money.  Some were quite interesting!  One penny pincher has joined over 70 birthday clubs to save money.  I don't think I've joined quite that many, but I have joined a few dozen at least.

One frugal thing I do happen to do to save money are to vacuum my furnace filters because they're so expensive and hard to find.  Since you're supposed to change them every month or so, I do save tons of money there.  With pets in the house, they clog up faster, so a very light vacuuming helps stretch their utility.   Since they cost about $10 per filter, a light vacuuming might save me $40-60 per year by not just throwing them out when they're dirty.

Stopping by the dry cleaner on a Wednesday saves bucks too.  3 for 2 on Wednesday can save me $7 easily. 

Like the vacuum cleaner guy, I do have a friend who scans the books at Goodwills with an eye for specialty books that can be re-sold online for far more than the quarter that they cost her.  One man's trash is definitely another's treasure!

What types of Penny Pinching tactics are you using to save some green? 

1 comment:

GoldenOrchard said...

I cut my soap bars in half to save money and also cut all my cheese slices in triangles to create twice as much cheese.

In addition I also cut my face wash cloths (the dry ones) in half to pinch a penny. I'll also switch to kid version of products like shampoo body wash or baby lotion to save money too since some of my other sensitive skin products are high & kids products are on sale often especially with coupons.

I never go to the video store only the library for videos or DVDs and bottle rinse (adding water to low remaining products IE liquid soap, ketchup, mustard bottle) all the products that I can

I use an old measuring cup and use an old frosting spatula as a leveler to measure out soap powder evenly and exactly

I also never pay for coin wrappers since the bank has them for free and I roll coins myself since some places here charge money for it.

I recycle what I can and use the money I get from recycling for frugal activities in the summer and to boost my savings all winter and in the spring

I never pay for eyeglass cleaner either. I've bought one bottle over 13 years ago and take it to the super center for free refills.

Lastly when cotton socks don't loose their mate, they become dust rags