Tuesday, November 29, 2011

DVDs to consider for your Christmas Countdown!

Like a lot of people, Christmas is one of the holidays that I have the fondest memories of from my childhood.  It's not really the presents that I remember getting, though they can define a Christmas in your mind.  For me, it was the anticipation of Christmas, which was enhanced with holiday specials.  I can remember watching them with my siblings and my parents too.  In my mind, it just isn't Christmas unless you are huddled around a TV watching old cartoons.  Of course, back then they still rolled out my favorites and there was something to look forward to.  I remember watching Frosty actually get a Mrs. Frosty!  Which leads me to highlight a few DVDs you might want to consider for your Christmas Countdown.

Frosty's Winter Wonderland, Deluxe Edition

Release Date:  10/4/2011

Available now

Check out games, wallpaper, and more at http://frostythesnowman.com

Who doesn't love the story of Frosty the Snowman?  He had to go away so he wouldn't melt, but would come back to play each year.  Understandably, Frosty got lonely at night after the children went home.  What could Frosty do?  Take a wife, of course!  The children all come together to build him a snow wife and have a little bit of a difficult time getting her to come to life, just like Frosty.  I always loved this story because it shows children that everyone needs someone special in their life.


Ah, true (snowman) love!
'Twas the Night Before Christmas Deluxe Edition

Release Date:  10/4/2011

Available now

I reviewed 'Twas the Night Before Christmas last year and received the DVD/BluRay pack.  The story focuses on the plight of Junctionville, because Santa is returning their letters.  What could have caused St. Nick to be so unhappy with the town's residents, and what can they do to let Santa know that they do believe in him? My kids like this DVD and have watched it outside of the holiday season. Take a sneak peek at this DVD:



Finally, I grew up watching the Smurfs and was surprised to learn that two holiday specials had made it to DVD.

The Smurfs Holiday Celebration

Release Date:  9/4/11

Available Now

Get into the holiday mood with the Smurfs.  This two-episode DVD features two holiday themed cartoons.  'Tis the Season to be Smurfy' focuses on Sassette's discovery of the true meaning of the season.  The Smurfs become friends with humans who have no money to spend on Christmas.  What a great message to send to kids - that it is better to give than receive.  Next, in 'The Smurf's Holiday Special' Gargamel definitely doesn't have the Christmas spirit and gets in cahoots with someone else to ruin the Smurfs' Christmas and destroy their village.  Will Christmas be ruined or will it be another Smurf-tastic holiday?  Here's a clip:




Check out these holiday DVDs and get in the Christmas spirit.


Disclosure:  I received complimentary DVDs to facilitate this blog post.  This post is uncompensated and the opinions are my own.

No comments: