Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Halloween haul and what to do with all this candy? Treats for Troops!

We took the kids trick-or-treating and we ended up with over 11 pounds of candy between two kids.  Honestly, I looked at the candy haul and thanked the Lord we only had two kids.  We had a nice bunch before we stopped by the rest home that's located near our home.






We always take a big, strong bag or a back pack with us when we trick or treat, mainly because the candy haul can sometimes weigh the kids down.  The bag wasn't too heavy until we stopped by the nursing home and went to the residents' doors to trick or treat.  Really, we got there so late, I wasn't worried about getting candy because having worked at a personal care home ages ago, I know that the elderly generally LOVE Halloween and love seeing the kids all come by with their costumes on.  I wasn't quite prepared for their heavy handed handing out of candy.  Wowzers!  They just kept filling up the kids' McDonald's Happy Meal buckets with candy. 

If you're like me with a little too much (OK, a lot too much candy), consider donating it to the troops.  Please visit Treats for Troops because they use wrapped candy as packing peanuts for care packages.  At first the idea of candy as packing material struck me as odd, but then there was this one time I mailed my sister a box and used boxes of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese as packing material because I'd gotten such a steal on them.  So... I have no room to think it strange!

No comments: