Friday, June 08, 2012

Tastykake Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies review

Because I eat gluten free, I'm always on the look out for delicious products. I'll try just about anything once, and if I love it, I'll continue buying it. I have a sweet tooth and love cookies and cakes. I don't bake often, mainly because it is just myself that eats gluten free in my house. I buy convenience foods to keep around the house because my daughter and son have friends who are on a gluten free diet and it's nice to have snacks that they can eat on hand since I don't always know they're coming over to play.

I recently spied Tastykake's Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip cookies on a display case at a Giant grocery store.  The price was $5.99.  Normally, I wouldn't splurge... but I was shopping hungry and I'd never seen them before.  In fact, I didn't even know that Tastykake offered gluten free cookies (there's also a chocolate cookie variety in gluten free).  I grew up in PA and therefore was familiar with the brand in general, and was excited that they did have some goodies in their snack line that I could eat.



Above is a picture of me holding one of Tastykake's Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip cookies. I wanted you to see how big they were.  I think they were a decent size!

Taste... they tasted like Heaven.  I did not find them overly gritty, but instead they reminded me more like a Soft Batch cookie.  They weren't crumbly dry, a huge plus.  The balance of chocolate chips to the cookie portion was perfect for me.  You can see that there is plenty of chocolate pieces in the cookie.  I like chocolate, but I don't want it to overpower the cookie. 

Packaging... I truly appreciated the packaging for this product.  If you look at the first picture I posted, you'll notice that the cookies come in two separate small flats, each with four cookies.  For someone like me who is the only one eating gluten free, it means that I don't have to worry about my cookies going stale before I eat them.  I often have that issue, particularly with a brand of wafer cookies that I like.  I don't ever want to feel like I have to consume the whole package post-haste to enjoy the sweet at its maximum freshness.

Price... These aren't cheap cookies, but most gluten free confections are not cheap and are noticeably more expensive than comparable wheat-laden foods.  At $5.99 a package, that's 75 cents per cookie.  However, I've paid that much and more for gluten free cookies.  I don't see myself buying these all the time, but more as an occasional snack for myself, though I'll probably keep them on hand more often this summer because of gluten free neighborhood kids stopping by.

Uses... Other than eating them right out of the packaging, I could easily see myself using two of them as homemade ice cream sandwich ends, or even served warm in an ice cream sundae.  Crumbled up, they'd be good in a dessert, or used as a pie crust for a summer dessert pie.

Overall, I enjoyed the taste and will be purchasing again. 


Disclosure:  Pinching Abe is required to disclose that she paid for this product with her own money.  That means that the company did not provide her with any samples.  The opinions expressed are her own.  She happened to like this product, but you may not. 

No comments: