Friday, November 16, 2012

Hostess, Twinkies and Ding Dong Maker, going out of business :(

Ding Dong the Twinkie is dead!  Have you read the news that Hostess Brands, who makes favorite brands such as Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Hostess Cupcakes, Wonder Bread, and more, will be closing its doors.  According to this CNN article, Hostess cites a labor strike of its bakers as the reason for its demise.

I would look for empty shelves soon as Twinkies and Ding Dong lovers will be grabbing them while they can.  They should freeze fairly well.  I can remember my dad bringing home oodles of Hostess products from an outlet, which my mom popped into the chest freezer.  We ate them for months! 

Other ideas --- make your own Twinkies.  The Today Show has a "Twinkie" Recipe on their site.

Smitten Kitten has a recipe for Devil Dogs/Ding Dongs as well.

What do you think?  Will you miss this Brand?  I'm very sad.  I feel like a part of my childhood is going to be lost forever.

1 comment:

bayctygrl said...

I'm sad for the 18,000 plus people now out of a job. The good news is I am sure another company will buy up the good selling products and the Twinkies will live on. :)