Monday, January 21, 2008

More on CVS: The Art of Buying What You Don't Need

My husband is a logical kind of guy... it could be all of that Star Trek he watched growing up that leads him to view things in a Vulcan kind of way. So when I explained to him just how I was working the CVS deals to maximize products purchased and minimize cost out of pocket, I was prepared for him giving me the look that says, "Huh? That just ain't right!"

But once I explained the art of buying things you don't necessarily need so that you can later purchase things that you really did, he caught on pretty fast. Just recently, CVS was offering select scents of Men's Speed Stick on sale for $3.99 for full ECB, meaning I would recoup every penny I spent on that product. Since it was limit 5, I loaded up. Now, I wouldn't say that the scents were his first choice, but they were free after ECB. Combine that deal with another deal, the P&G buy $20 worth of Proctor & Gamble Products, get $5 ECB back, and I was nearly to $40. CVS toothbrush for full ECB of $2.99? I'll take it! Since the register had kindly given me a $10 off $50 purchase, I needed only a few more items to reach that thresh hold. So I bought some pop and a few other inexpensive things to reach that total.

After coupons for diapers, pop, a $10 ECB earned last week on the Pepsi promotion and the $10 off $50, I spent a total of $30.99 out of pocket. My ECB back, which printed immediately after the sale, was just under $30. Not quite free, but I could have gotten it free if I hadn't wanted that pink nail polish on clearance!

So next week, I will take a peek in the ad at CVS and look to see which items I need. If I don't see anything with ECB on them, I will either save my ECB for a future purchase (ever mindful of the expiration date) or I will just use them to buy the things I do need. It is like recycling the same money over and over again. My ability to spot these deals, which do tend to be more on HBA items, enables me to give extra things to family and neighbors who can use them if I cannot. I could easily have purchased the Soy Joy bars and gotten them free as well, but I didn't think I'd like the taste. Freebies are there if only you look!

No comments: