Friday, February 15, 2008

MyPoints - one of the best rewards programs on the web

I have been a member of MyPoints for about two years and have had positive experiences with this site. I have never had to wait long for a reward; often they come within a week (holiday season excepted). In all, I estimate I have claimed $50 or more in gift cards and am very close to redeeming yet another gift card.

How does MyPoints work? Well this is very simple. You register for the site and they send you emails about offers. You get 5 points just for clicking and reading the email. To be honest, for the first year, I didn't do any shopping through this site or any of the offer emails. I was still able to cash out for $10 in gift cards, just for taking the two minutes a day and clicking the emails. However, as my confidence in the site grew, I began to shop through the links and through the site. If Disneyshopping was having a sale, I'd shop through the MyPoints link. When my husband wanted to buy a new digital camera online, I made him shop through the MyPoints site. You can even earn points from your Ebay purchases by shopping through the MyPoints site! Now anytime I want to purchase things online, I always check to see if they are a merchant listed on the MyPoints site.

Are there any other ways to earn points? Sure! Other than emails and shopping, you will receive email invitations to surveys with a point value assigned to them. Most are 50 points if you qualify and 10 points if you do not qualify. I take all of the surveys even if it doesn't look like one I would qualify for - I at least get 10 points for my effort! In addition, keep checking the Easy Points tab for easy point offers, which usually require signing up for a newsletter of some sort. Bear in mind, you can always unsubscribe later, as most of these have an unsubscribe button at the bottom of the email. There are also often little one question surveys that pop up in the easy tab button that will lead to an offer, but you will get 5 points for those if you click through.

If at any time you notice you are getting less email offers or none at all, log in to your MyPoints account and start clicking around. Search for some merchants and click on their offers. You should notice an increase in emails very soon afterward. Be sure to play their instant win games when they are promoted - I have won points there too!

What kind of gift cards are offered? This is the bet part - the selection is quite varied and contains many popular cards such as Walmart, Sears, JCPenney, Itunes, LLBean, Kohls, Old Navy, Pizza Hut, Amazon, Subway, BP, Shell, Hyatt, Marriott.... the list goes on and on. You can redeem for gift cards to be used for a nice dinner out, or one to offset the high cost of gas. One for a hotel stay, or a nice clothing store. Cards do go in and out of stock, especially the popular ones like Walmart, but just wait a bit and they will be back.

All in all, MyPoints is another excellent tool for stretching your budget. Even if you just click on the emails and do no shopping through the site, you will still be able to get enough points in a few months to cash out for a $5 card at the very least. One caveat here is that if you do shop through the site, be sure to keep a copy of the invoice of the items purchased until your points credit. Sometimes glitches happen and having your copy will help them track your purchase should anything go awry. I have never had this happen, but I have heard of others having this problem.

No comments: