Thursday, March 11, 2010

Bestbuy.com: Buy online and pick up... FAIL

The other night, my hubby ordered a new hard drive for our Winbook Jiv. Our Jiv had the equivalent of a computer stroke, making data recovery of much unlikely. So, we needed a new hard drive and hubby found one on Bestbuy.com and ordered it via Shop Discover to earn a little extra bucks back.

Unfortunately, when I went to pick up the hard drive, Best Buy had not yet pulled the item. So, I had to putz around the store for 10-15 minutes. This, after they carded me. I wondered if I should have just gotten the thing myself? Annoyed, I wandered around and eventually went back to customer service to pick up the hard drive. Having an item ready for pick up - FAIL. Granted, we ordered it at 9 PM at night and I was in the store at 11 AM the next day and they "usually" have the item there w/in 45 minutes, but who's counting?

So I go back through the line at customer service and get carded again. They tell me they cannot let me pick it up. Nevermind my husband and I have the same last name, same address and the same credit card. Was he serious? Yes, it is a "security risk" to let me pick it up since my husband ordered it and not me. (For the record, hubby never saw a slot to add a pick up person, but he may not have been looking.)

Yeah, I have nothing better to do than to hack into my husband's email and pick up a $50 hard drive. Oh and drive an hour a way to pick it up showing the same credit card he used to pay for it. Um, yeah. I tell him I am there because hubby works and can't come get it. We live too far away and no, it is not convenient to come back.

He asked me if I still wanted it - um, yeah! So I had to pay for it myself to be able to buy it. Granted, had the first clerk told me this, I would have just gotten it myself. (Nevermind that when she told me that, there were no less than 5 people behind her just shooting the breeze and I had to wait 10-15 minutes to come back so that it was there for me?)

I buy it, fuming all the while. Then he asked me if I had a Rewards Zone card? No, I answer, but hubby does. Oh, now, that's ok. They give him the credit for the purchase - no problem! It is such a "security risk" for me to pick it up that I have to pay for it myself and be inconvenienced to have to call to cancel the order online.... but it is not a "security risk" to look him up and credit his rewards account for this purchase? Best Buy's logic: FAIL

Hubby did end up calling to cancel. He was kind to the customer service person who answered his call. But when Best Buy sent him a customer service satisfaction survey, he let them know why he would not be using their online site to purchase items anymore.

The moral to this story: If you are going to do instore pick up, you better make sure whomever will be picking up the item is the one listed as buying it. Not being able to pick up the hard drive actually did cost us money. Best Buy is a Shop Discover partner and had we been able to complete the transaction by picking it up, it would have netted us 5% cash back on that purchase.

No comments: