Sunday, July 25, 2010

Petroleum Engineer as a college major? $$$$!

I saw this article on CNN today and I found it very interesting... if you want to earn a boat load of money, it looks like plastics engineering is the way to go.  I don't foresee that college degree in my future though.  I did, however, find a link to Payscale.com and that is definitely bookmarkworthy for me.  I'm *hoping* to re-enter the work force after a 5 year hiatus to child rear and am praying that I can find something when the time comes.  It's much easier to get a job if you already have one, so being out of a normal 9-5 job for so long does concern me.  I plan to use Payscale.com to help me research what a good salary is since I've been out of the loop for so long and moved to another state since I stopped working.

There's plenty of folks in the same boat - or worse -  one of them an online friend.  Please read her story, First Person:  The invisible unemployed, that published just a few days ago on Yahoo!  She's unemployed, desperately needs a job and hasn't had much luck.  She doesn't count toward out nation's staggering tally of unemployed and she cannot get UC benefits.  Why?  Because just like me, she's been a mom raising kids, but her family's finances have changed drastically due to a serious health matter.  It will make you wonder just how many people are invisible...

No comments: