Monday, September 20, 2010

What's on your child's lunch menu this year?

I must confess, I conceived this blog event several weeks before school even started.  With two fairly picky eaters going off to school, I began to think about healthy lunch snacks that I could pack for them a few times a week. 

The rule for my older daughter has always been that she had to buy at least two times a week, at an absolute minimum.  This would give her the opportunity to meet other friends (they are seated based on packers vs. buyers) and also give her a little variety in lunches.  She would take the lunch menu each month and mark a big "B" for buy and a big "P" for pack.

This year, however, I've relented and allowed her to break the rule that had been steadfast since her Kindergarten days.  Why did I do this?  Because I saw her lunch menu.

1st week of school:  Cheeseburger on Bun, Corn Dog, Steak & Cheese on Bun, Pollock Fish

2nd week of school:  Hot dog on bun, Chicken Nuggets, Turkey something w/Salsa, Pepperoni Pizza, Grilled chicken on bun

3rd week of school:  Pollock Fish, Cheese Burger, Turkey Sub, Chicken & Cheese Quesadilla, Beefaroni w/breadstick

Fourth week of school:  Turkey corn dog, Spaghetti w/Meat sauce, Grilled chicken on bun & Steak and cheese on bun.

Grand total of "B"s on the menu:  4. 

I can't say that I blame her.  I wouldn't eat most of those lunches either!  I can only hope that next month's menu is better.

So, given that less than ideal lunch menu, I was sorely glad that I'd made plans for a Healthy & Fun Lunch Snacks event! 

PinchingAbe wants to know:  What does your child's lunch menu have on it?  Does the menu contain meals that you wouldn't mind eating? 

No comments: