Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wordy Wednesday: Stepping Stones Together update



It's been a few weeks since we started the Stepping Stones Together program and I'm still very pleased with how things are going with my fledgling reader.

School began last week and the first week seemed to be more geared toward getting the kindergarteners used to school.  From past experience, I knew we'd be getting a list of sight words that we needed to review and home and those came home on Monday.  He has to learn:  I, my, a, see, and to.  Many of the books that we've read from the A series did include I, see, to, and a, but I don't recall any my's.  There were me's, so I think that might be why he kept telling me that my was me.  So a little word confusion!

When we first started this program, the kids were still home for the summer.  So as we get into our school rhythm, it's been a little harder to carve out those precious few minutes between getting homework done, cooking dinner, bath time and getting the kids into bed at a decent hour.  Fortunately, his older sister has been helping me by providing some guided reading for him at night while I'm busy trying not to burn dinner black.   For the past week, we haven't done as many new books, but instead have been re-reading some of the ones we have already done.  I think that's OK since we still seem to be making progress. 

To save some time, I think I'm going to print and assemble the books myself while he's at school and then log in and walk through the book digitally like we have been doing.  Overall, he still has some trouble with some words, but repetition is key.  We even had time to read through four of the A series books this morning before the bus came.  So maybe we'll do our new books at night and then capitalize on that few minutes we have in the morning before the bus comes to start his day.


This blog post is part of a series of posts that I am doing about my experience with Stepping Stones Together.  Please check back each Wednesday for a Wordy Wednesday post and catch up on past weeks' progress by reading the posts tagged "Stepping Stones Together".

No comments: