I recently posted to let you know that I would be reviewing Rock 'n Learn's Money & Making Change DVD. Many thanks to them for sending me a review copy gratis and allowing me to host a giveaway!
As I mentioned in the previous post, Money & Making Change has won numerous awards, as have many other of Rock 'n Learn's titles! Parents and kids alike will enjoy these videos. I watched the DVD with the kids and the tunes were catchy. There were also several instances of "adult humor" that were funny to us, but the kids didn't quite get yet.
Penny and Bill were engaging and my 5 year old was very interested in the whole idea of making change. In fact, he went into his bedroom and brought out his change and promptly dumped it on the floor. I guess he figured if Penny and Bill were going to be playing with money and counting it, then he was too! My 9 year old is actually a pretty good money changer. She had no trouble following along when they explained how to make change. They showed a large number of scenarios where you had to decide whether or not you had enough money to buy a toy from a store. These scenarios got harder and harder as it progressed, prompting the kids to think more how to count the money the easiest. I liked that they counted up - as in if you needed to make change, you counted up to the next even number. So if something cost 85 cents, they would pull out a nickel, tell you it was 90 and that you needed 10 more cents to make a dollar.
Another thing that I liked about Rock 'n Learn's Money & Making Change DVD was that they showed the dollar in all of the ways you could. Meaning, they had some Sacagawea dollars, Susan B. Anthony dollars and, of course, dollar bills. I think most kids equate a dollar with a bill and not necessarily as a coin. They really mixed and matched, so from that standpoint, I liked that it showed a dollar could be so many different things.
True story: After watching Money & Making Change, my 5 year old lost a bottom tooth. He came home from school with it in a plastic bag and informed me that instead of the golden dollar that tooth fairy leaves, he wanted her to leave him two fifty cent pieces instead! Unfortunately, tooth fairy was unable to make change, but next time she'll be sure to remember to bring those fifty cent pieces when she comes to visit.
Buy it: Rock 'n Learn has two different discounts going on right now. From now until 10/31, you can use HWT3P to get 30% off your order at Rock 'n Learn. Also, from now until 12/5, you can use SSA25 to get 25% off your order. Save an extra 5% by ordering before Halloween!
********************** GIVEAWAY *************************
Win it: I know you want to win a copy of Money & Making Change of your own, so there will be lots of entries available for this giveaway.
This giveaway ends 11/15/2010 at 11:59 PM Eastern time and is open to US and Canadian residents who are 18 and older! So if you live north of the border, please be sure to enter! Winner will be chosen on 11/16/2010 via Random.org and will have 48 hours to return an email asking for shipping information to claim their prize. If the winner doesn't answer back within that time frame, I'll have to choose a different winner.
Note - you will need to include your email address in your comments. Thanks! I need a way to contact you.
- Mandatory entry: Visit Rock 'n Learn (www.RockNLearn.com) and peruse their offerings. Let me know what other DVD there would be a great learning tool for your child. You must do this entry to have any other entries count.
- Join Rock 'n Learn's mailing list for special offers. Please only do this if you are genuinely interested in the product. (Link to do so is on Rock 'n Learn's website, left side bar.)If you joined last time I had a contest, just let me know in a comment!
- Follow me on Twitter! If you already do, just let me know.
- Become my Google Friend (right side bar). If we are already friends, just leave a comment letting me know.
- Tweet my giveaway on Twitter and include @PinchingAbe in your tweet. Sharing tools at the bottom of this blog post. You can do this once daily. Leave a comment w/link to your tweet.
- "Like" Rock 'n Learn on Facebook and post on their wall. Tell them Pinching Abe sent you! Come back and leave a comment letting me know you did it.
- Use the store locator to find a store near you that sells Rock 'n Learn DVDs. Please list the store nearest in your comment. Good luck to all!
Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of the Rock 'n Learn's Money & Making Change for review purposes. I did not receive compensation for this review and the opinions stated herein are 100% my own (or my children's). The links to products were my own and I will not receive any benefit if you happen to shop through one of the links. I learned about this opportunity via The Product Review Place. If you have any questions about this disclosure, please contact me.