Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Wordy Wednesday: Still sick, but half-way through!


You love your little germ-muffins, but definitely not the germs that they bring home.  On the first day of Fall, I came down with a cold (courtesy of the 5 year old germ magnet).  This has continued and I have been unable to evict the cold from my body.  Ugh. So, I spent a good part of the weekend not feeling so great and laying around trying to nap.  I finally felt human enough to print out some more Stepping Stones Together books on Monday and we are now half way through the B series, which means half way through the whole program.  A nice milestone, I think!

This week, we are doing the transportation titles and junior is very pleased to see words that he knows.  He insisted that I print out both "Go" books, meaning go was in the title.  This time, though, we didn't walk through all of the books mainly because he is becoming so strong at reading.  We walked through the "Go" books and then I printed the other three since I figured if I had to glue two, I may as well glue all five.

They have a lot of the same words and he can read them now.  He does read kind of slow, but that's typical.  He still looks at the picture for clues when he gets stuck.  This week, one of the characters went up a hill.  He knew the word hill (I'd never seen it in any of the other Stepping Stones Together books) and I was pleasantly surprised.  Now, if that boy could just learn "this".  That word has troubled him for a few weeks.  He knows "is" and automatically sees "this" and thinks it is "is".  But we'll get there!  I have been helping him less when he's stuck and I try to get him to sound it out if he can.  But overall, he's doing great.  He has PALS testing, which we get back in November at parent conferences.  I'm confident he'll do well on those.



This blog post is part of a series of posts that I am doing about my experience with Stepping Stones Together.  Please check back each Wednesday for a Wordy Wednesday post and catch up on past weeks' progress by reading the posts tagged "Stepping Stones Together".

If you are interested in learning more about the Stepping Stones Together program, please visit their site by clicking here.

Disclosure:  This is not a paid post.  This series of Wordy Wednesday posts is based upon my own experience (or that of my son) with regard to the SST program.  While I did receive a free membership via another blog contest, the opinions stated herein are 100% my own. 

No comments: