Friday, December 10, 2010

Gifting used games for Christmas?

You know, I'm cheap.  It's no big secret in my family that I can usually find a deal on the things that I truly want.  My friend Michelle over at Frugal Fun Family recently wrote a blog post titled "Newer Isn't Better"  that got me thinking about her strategy about saving money on games.  She has no problems with putting used games under the tree for her sons and I wouldn't either.  However, when I asked my husband what he thought about this, he looked agape.

I guess he is more of a believer in spanking new gifts.  I'm more of a believer that the games you buy at Game Stop used are guaranteed to play or your money back.  I'd rather buy more games my kids want used than only be able to buy a few of them at the new price. 

What do you think?  For your own kids, would you feel bad giving them a used game as a gift?

4 comments:

Sweet T Makes Three said...

I wouldn't feel bad at all. As a kid I wouldn't have minded either. Especially if it meant getting two used games as opposed to one new one!

Pinching Abe said...

Me either! The more presents, the better. Games are so expensive too - $50 a pop for a new one.

Ellen said...

Doesn't bother my kids at all. They know that two used $20 games are better than one new $40 game.

Amy @ Cheeky Cocoa Beans said...

We don't have a game system, but I have no problem giving my children used gifts that are in great condition. In fact, in the last month all three of my children (ages 13, 8, and 4) have found things in a consignment store we frequently go to and asked for these items as Christmas gifts. :) They understand that the quality of the item plays into how well they will like the gift, and have no problem with gently used gifts. For a game in good working order, especially, it just makes sense!