Monday, April 04, 2011

The importance of bakery display cases

The economy is tough right now and I recently saw a video segment that featured start-up businesses.  Many college graduates, unable to find a traditional job, are turning toward self-employment by opening their own businesses to make ends meet.  When you think about it, if you can't find a job, the next best thing is to make a job for yourself, right?

The entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well.  Even in my little town, a mom and pop type bakery has sprung up -- in this of all economies!  Though they don't make gluten free goodies (a shame), I do like to support local businesses, and in particular, I want to support new businesses moving into our little burg to perhaps encourage them to stay by patronizing them and spreading the word.  I first visited the bakery around Christmas time and was somewhat taken aback by the lack of Bakery display cases. After all, when you walk into a bakery, you expect to see mass quantities of pastries and bread displayed in eye-catching displays.  That was not the case here!  In fact, seriously worried that six months later we would see yet another business shuttered in our town. 

Fast forward six months, and I'm happy to report that the bakery is still baking.  I won't say that they are making money hand over fist, since I didn't get that impression at all.  I stopped in last week and bought a fresh loaf of bread.  They sold me the last of four loaves (yes, four) that were made fresh that morning.  I'm told by my husband that the bread was quite tasty.  They also expanded a bit with some refrigeration and freezer equipment and now sell something that I can purchase and eat there:  ice cream!  In that time span, they've also added some additional display cases to show case their baked goods (though still made in small quantities, so I'll have to be sure to get there early for the best selection.)  Overall, I'm hopeful that they will eventually become a fixture in our town and survive this economy.  They have mastered the fine art of "fake it until you make it" by learning that they need to fill their space to look successful until they are successful.

This post was brought to you by your friends at Tigerchef.com.  Please note that Tigerchef.com sells a wide variety of restaurant and bar supplies, as well as janitorial supplies. They strive to offer reasonable prices, and, most importantly, reasonable shipping rates.  If you are planning to open a business, please be sure to check out Tigerchef.com's prices on the equipment you will need to run a successful business.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I give them one hundred percent credit for starting this bakery. It not only takes time to recoup the money forked out, but to think now they do have showcases. Is very hard to start a business w/o any money or job. Maybe next month you will see even more improvement. :) I support local whenever possible.

Micheal said...

Yes we have shopped at TigerChef.com they have reliable prices and great customer service.

MerryJohnson said...

Nice one.
Lovely job.
Keep up the good work.
Thanks a lot for sharing.

Unknown said...

Great post. A bakery just opened up across the street from me. Her bakery display cases are filled with delicious desserts. I didn't think she was going to make it when she first opened up but that place is packed all the time. I am not a dessert person but I try to go in and buy something every once awhile for support. Thanks for sharing!