Monday, May 02, 2011

Food storage becoming even more important

The last time I left the grocery store, I was in a lot of pain.  And not just my back either.  The cost of groceries has jumped and I've noticed that I'm spending more at the grocery store.  Fruit is especially pricey these days and meat is even more expensive than ever.  Things cost what they cost, and coupons aside, there's not a lot that I can do about it. 

What I can control is how the food we do cook is managed.  Food Storage is becoming very important to our grocery budget.  Waste not, want not!  Any food not consumed is, to me, money down the garbage disposal unit.  Especially precious is gluten free leftovers.  Anyone who eats gluten free knows that it costs more to eat gluten free, especially when you factor in snacks and cereals.  If you spend extra money to specifically buy gluten free food, then you want to protect that investment by making sure that it doesn't go bad before you can eat it.

Case in point:  I've already made plans for the left over gravy from a crock potted beef roast that we had on Sunday.  I used a relatively expensive gluten free gravy to help flavor the homemade gravy I made from using beef granules to make the beef broth used to roast the beef.  Tomorrow, that gravy will re-enter the crock pot and help simmer some relatively inexpensive cube steaks to melt-in-your-mouth perfection.   The chicken I cooked for a delicious french fries and chicken salad with ranch dressing last weekend will soon become a gluten free pot pie.  There is enough chicken there to make two, so I'll be freezing the extra for a busy night in the not so distant future.

If you can't cut your bill at the grocery store much more, make the most of your left overs by developing a food storage strategy so that very little goes to waste.

Do you have any specific food storage tips to share?  Do you seal your cereal in plastic containers to keep the cereal fresh longer?  I'd love to know what you're doing to waste the least amount possible.

Disclosure:  This post is brought to you by your friends at TomorrowsHarvest.com. The opinions stated herein are 100% my own and are based upon my own personal experience.

No comments: