Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Bread ends? Who eats them anyway....

If your kids are anything like mine, they don't like the ends of the bread loaf.  To be honest, I'm not a huge fan myself.  The only one who will eat them is my husband, and that's only because someone has to!  I used to feed them to my dog so they wouldn't go to waste, but she passed a few years ago. 

A tasty use for those bread ends that no one wants is to use them in a bread pudding. Sadly, my hubby and daughter don't like it, so it's usually just me eating my gluten free bread in a dessert that's just for me.  Considering that gluten free bread costs me $5 a loaf, I'd be a fool not to use every slice.  It's a quick and easy gluten free dessert that can easily be passed at a potluck too.   Here's a link to a gluten free bread pudding recipe at glutenfreeeasily.com.  I usually make mine with plain old lactose free milk and toast my pieces first so they sop up the milk, being sure not to use too much bread lest my dessert be a little dry.

If you don't go through a lot of bread, just toss the ends in the freezer until you have enough to make this yummy dessert.  This is a dessert my mom made for our family out of the ends that we four kids wouldn't eat. 

No comments: