Thursday, July 05, 2012

Wegmans' gluten free baking mixes: What Pinching Abe thinks!

You might remember me mentioning about a month ago that Wegmans has launched a few of their own baking mixes for those of us who eat gluten free.  I did receive a coupon for free pasta and free mix via mail (special mailer) and bought an extra baking mix just to try it.  They didn't ask me to blog about this and I wasn't compensated to do so.  So now that I've had the chance to try them, what did I think?

Wegmans' Gluten Free Sugar Cookies:  Prepared as directed, they tasted OK.  I could really taste the butter, which seemed out of balance.  What I'd do next time would be to prepare it perhaps half with butter/half Crisco and see if I can get the flavor more balanced.  I did not frost them, and admittedly, I feel that might be part of why I didn't enjoy the cookie as much.  Definitely chill the batter to make it more easily handled.

I will play around with this mix, perhaps doing the variant for snickerdoodles.

See how moist! 

Wegmans' Gluten Free Vanilla Cake:  Learning a bit from the sugar free cookies, I opted to cut back a bit on the butter and went with 3 Tbsp. of butter and 1 Tbsp. of oil.  I also prepared it by adding in a little over 1 cup of fresh blueberries.  (Fold them gently in to avoid having a purple cake.)  The berries fell right to the bottom, and the cake came out very moist.  As I might have mentioned before, I've learned with baking GF that covering cakes immediately after coming out of the oven with some foil helps seal in the moisture.  I leave the foil on until completely cooled.  The blueberry cake turned out great and I didn't frost this one either.  The batter itself tasted very sugary, so I opted to skip adding more sugar to the top when cooled. 

I think this mix would be great for a pineapple upside down cake, so I might try that next time I purchase this mix.

Both of these mixes retail for about $3.49 each.


No comments: