Thursday, February 28, 2013

Russo's Gluten Free Gourmet Mozzarella Sticks {Review}

I recently spied Russo's Gluten Free Gourmet Mozzarella Sticks at a Wegmans that I shop at often, specifically because it tries to bring in a vibrant and varied number of gluten free products.  It's Lent, so that means at least one meatless meal each week for the next month.  Usually during Lent we end up having a "Fried Food Friday", which is basically a smorgasbord of finger foods that aren't meat.  That means we have a hodge podge of onion rings, french fries, fried vegetables, or whatever strikes our fancy for dinner that night.  So finding this product was great timing.

How'd it taste?  Surprisingly very good!  I can see the spices in the bread crumb coating.  The cheese is real and I honestly would not have guessed that it was gluten free just on taste alone.  My daughter tasted a bite and thought it was yummy and said she couldn't tell that it was gluten free. 

Many products out there are close, but not quite what you miss having.  Russo's Gluten Free Gourmet Mozzarella Sticks taste great and I don't feel like I am settling for a substandard product just because it is the only gluten free option available to me.  You want what you miss having and with this product, I have it back. 

Price.  Price-wise, the box of 12 mozzarella sticks were a little pricey at over 7 bucks a box.  However, you do pay for a quality product.

Gluten free facility.  These are manufactured in a gluten free facility.  This is a huge plus as some things that should be gluten free carry a disclaimer about the possibility of wheat due to a shared facility or manufacturing line. 

Bake times vary!  The box specifically says so and they weren't kidding.  Be sure to keep an eye on them.  I needed to cook mine longer.  I also used a pizza stone instead of aluminum with the result of having the cheese come out, but not quite being hot enough for me.  I popped them in the microwave for just a few seconds and that did the trick. However, I lost out on some crunch.

One thing I'd like to see... I wish they'd include some marinara sauce.  I don't keep it on hand and it would have completed the joy of having these mozzarella sticks gluten free. 

Bummer:  It seems to be a regional brand, so you'll find more stores that carry it closer to New York.  There were only two stores listed for my state of Virginia.  The store locator should help you find the nearest store, though it may not be available in your state at all.  My hope:  I am hoping that they are able to expand and bring these great tasting snacks to everyone who eats a gluten free diet.

Other products I'd love to try:  Russo's Gluten Free Gourmet also makes Tiramisu, Canoli shells, and Lady Fingers.  They also make an Eggplant Parm, Italian Bread, and Bread Crumbs. 

Disclosure:  I am required by law to tell  you that this is an unpaid post. I spent my own money purchasing this product.   I was not encouraged or paid by the company featured to rave over their  mozzarella sticks.  The opinions are 100% my own. I am sharing this review because I truly enjoyed the product and wanted to share my experience with anyone looking for more information about this product.



2 comments:

Russo's Gluten Free Gourmet said...

Thank you very much for you kind words. It truly makes us happy to provide you a safe, great tasting product. We are currently working to increase our presence in your area.....stay tuned!!!

Pinching Abe said...

Thanks for stopping by and please expand to my area. I would love to consistently find your products in my favorite stores.