Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Grilling pizza with Pillsbury Classic Pizza Crusts #myblogspark #grillpizza

Pizza on the grill?  If you're like me, the idea never crossed your mind.  When I think grill, I think of burgers, steaks, and bbq.  I don't think pizza, or at least I didn't until I was approached by MyBlogSpark to give Pillsbury Classic Pizza Crust a try on my grill.  They even sent me a grill set to help me on my first foray into making pizza on a grill.

First, I would like to start out with saying that recipes are important.  If you want to learn how to grill a pizza, check out this link.   Baking the dough on the grill is not a "set it and forget it" thing --- I actually ran back inside really quickly to get some oil and, well, inattentiveness does tend to ruin dinner.  I present you with Exhibit A (No, I did not need to call the fire department....).



Lesson learned.   When cooking pizza on the grill, follow these rules. 

1.  Don't turn your back on the grill, even for a second, when your dough is on the rack. 
2.  Don't shut the lid thinking it will work more like a regular oven. 
3.  I would aim for lower grill temps and ignore any times per side you might find elsewhere in other recipes.  You really need to eyeball it for doneness and it will cook super fast, so focus watching your dough. Grill temps vary, so go with the flow and look for signs of browning and then turn it.

So, dinner was a bit... um, er, delayed.  My 12 year old screamed, "Mom, you murdered the pizza crust!"  I view it more as martyrdom.  Think Joan of Arc... because it definitely burned at the stake.  As in totally unsalvageable.

In the end, as my hubby was starved and I needed to get my daughter to a friend's house, I rushed back to the store and bought a few more pizza crusts while hubby pre-heated the oven, knowing that I would not burn dinner a second time if I baked it in the oven instead of chancing a second conflagration on the grill.

Will I attempt to grill pizza again?  You betcha!  I just plan to be more attentive to the grill and keep an eagle eye on the dough next time.  The silver lining is this... Pillsbury Classic Pizza crusts have Box Tops for Education on them.  Last night I burnt dinner, but I got 40 cents for my child's school by clipping off the BTFE, it wasn't a total loss.

Do you think you can grill better than me?  I am sure you can!  Try out these recipes and let me know how they turned out for you.

Grilled Barbecue Chicken Pizza

Grilled Sausage and Pepper Pizza

Have you grilled pizza before?  Please share your tips with me!  As you can tell by the photo, I can use all the tips that I can get.


Disclosure:  The information and prize pack (grill set) have been provided by General Mills through MyBlogSpark.

1 comment:

debbie said...

I like to lightly grease my pizza crust before I grill it.
I also saw some heavy pizza pans for the grill- I am going to try those and see how they work.
twoofakind12@yahoo.com