Friday, July 25, 2014

Pamela's Figgies & Jammies -- Mission Fig review #glutenfree

When I go to grocery stores I don't shop at regularly, I always find myself cruising the gluten free aisle.  As I mentioned before, I live 35 miles away (at least!) from any city that has more than one normal chain grocery store in it.  So when I get the chance, I like to wander and find the items I can't get locally and hopefully find something new to try too.

Today at a Giant, I found Pamela's Figgies & Jammies -- Mission Fig on the shelf in their gluten free aisle.  I was intrigued because I had heard they had a new cookie out, but almost didn't buy them because I have bought Pamela's Cookies before and not liked them.  (Particularly their peanut butter cookies).  It was $3.99 for a package, about normal price for a gluten free cookie product.  I decided to take the plunge because it has been years, literally, since I had a fig cookie.



I opened the package in the car and was pleasantly surprised.  They smelled like the national brand fig cookies and even looked like them too.  I took a bite and was instantly transported back, back, back in time to being a young kid asking Grandma if I could raid her cookie cupboard.  You see, she kept her packaged cookies in an oversized bread box in her kitchen and all of us grandkids knew exactly where she kept them, too!  It tasted just like what I hadn't had in years --- an honest to goodness fig flavored cookie.

So for taste, I give it a 10 out of 10!  No crumbling, like many gluten free cookies.  It had the same consistency and taste as the national brand that isn't gluten free too.  These were so good I might have to hide them from my non-gluten free kiddo and keep them all for myself. 

My only complaint is with the packaging.  You will want to carefully open the packaging with scissors so you can tape it shut to preserve the moistness.  I unsuccessfully attempted to carefully open the package with my hands and the packaging stretched and pulled instead of ripping open.  I am afraid by then, I just wanted the dang cookie and there was a decent tear in the packaging by the time I was done opening it.  I recommend an easier way to open -- perhaps a flap on the top that can be resealed?

I will definitely try the Jammies next, though they only had one of the other flavors in the store.



Disclosure:  I purchased this product on my own, with my own money.  It was not provided to me by the company in any way, shape, or form.  The opinion above is my own.


No comments: