Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Green Product reviews: EcoStore's Toilet Cleaner and Lemon Rinse Aid

Going green is something I strive to do whenever possible.  As I grow in my eco-consciousness, I try to choose green products that are eco-friendly, particularly when it deals with the water supply.  When a chance to review a few of EcoStore's household products came up, I jumped at the chance to try out their plant based, non-toxic cleaners.  What follows below are my thoughts about EcoStore's Toilet Cleaner and Lemon Rinse Aid.

The Packaging Material

You know, the first thing that a person notices about a product when they receive it is the packaging.  EcoStore sent me two items to review in packaging made from recycled paper products.  The note inside --- recycled paper.  The packing peanuts --- soy.  The packaging tape, box and newsprint --- recycled paper.  I'm sensing a theme here.  And it is one thing that I noticed and took to heart.  It is one thing to sell eco-friendly items, and quite another to go out of your way to package them with recycled products instead of contributing to the recycled waste pile.  Two thumbs up!

Now, on to the reviews...

EcoStore's Toilet Cleaner

I'm no chemist. I didn't even do extremely well in Chemistry in high school. But, I can generally rattle off chemical names found on the back of many products.  That was something that was missing in EcoStore's Toilet Cleaner.  I actually could pronounce what was inside.  Water, Ethanol, Chlorophyll, Citric acid... these are words that I actually a) know what they are and b) can pronounce.

Smell?  Honestly, it smelled a little like a plant smell.  Must be the chlorophyll!  It wasn't unpleasant at all.  I used this in my master toilet and squirted a goodly amount in the neglected bowl.  Our water is very limey and unfortunately, I have a permanent build up that won't come off.  I won't tell you that EcoStore's Toilet Cleaner performed a miracle for me (the lime stayed), but I will tell you that when I got back to swish that bowl sometime later, the bowl beneath the perpetual ring was squeaky clean.  As in really clean without much elbow grease on my end. 

Overall, I really liked this product.  I wasn't sure it would clean as well as a chemical solution, but it did a great job on my nasty toilet bowl.  I love that it is non-toxic because I have kids and pets.  My bathroom is small, so anything that doesn't give off fumes is a winner in my book!

EcoStore's Lemon Rinse Aid

Back to the theme here that I don't want to add to the chemicals in drinking water, I was also excited to get to try EcoStore's Lemon Rinse Aid.  I typically use whatever happens to be on sale and some work better than others.  I can't use powder in my dishwasher without leaving a lot of leftover grit on dishes and glasses.  And, a Rinse Aid is a must because my glasses will start to get a bit cloudy otherwise or, worse, have a bit of residue on them.

It has just 5 ingredients -- all of which I recognize and none of which are chemicals.  The lemon scent is very faint as I can't really detect it.  This is not meant as a negative; merely an observation.  Normally, when I open the dishwasher with other brands, I'm gassed out by a lemon or citrus scent.  This is part of the reason I avoid orange scented products because I didn't like the smell once the dishwasher had run.  However, I don't smell anything when I open the door.  Nothing, nada, zilch.  That actually appeals to me.  I don't need to smell that my dishes are clean... I can see that they are.  My glasses look great and I haven't tasted anything in the glasses when I've used them.

Overall, I liked the product very much, mainly because of the lack of scent.

Where to buy EcoStore Products

You can purchase the EcoStore products featured above at their website, www.ecostoreusa.com.  If you happen to have a Duane Reade or Meijer stores nearby.  If you shop online, they offer free shipping if you spend $25 or more.

Connect with EcoStore to keep in the know about new products and promotions

One of the easiest ways to keep up with your favorite brands is to follow them via social media.  EcoStore's Facebook page is a great place to keep up on eco-friendly news topics and product promotions.  They're also on Twitter as @ecostoreusa if you prefer to follow them there instead.  Of course, you can always keep up with news and promotions by joining their newsletter via their blog as well.

Disclosure:  I received these two items from EcoStore USA at no cost to me for the purposes of this review.  I was not compensated for this blog post and the opinions stated herein are 100% my own.  Please see sponsor website for additional information about these products and also to browse their online store for other plant based, non-toxic cleaners for your home.

1 comment:

jack said...

may need to buy a new toilet, but after doing some research I tried citric acid, and we were amazed

bathroom cleaners