Saturday, March 08, 2008

How to use credit card autopay to your benefit

Discover Card was my very first credit card. Back then, it was named a Novus card, and was related to Sears, but I remember it fondly since that was the very first major credit card that I owned and trust me, at 20 years of age, I was dirt poor, working a minimum wage job and barely getting by.

Over the years, I have used my Discover for most major purchases and taken advantage of its cash back bonus program. Within the past year or so, we began to take a closer look at how we could earn more cash back. We do not carry a balance on the card as a general rule, and pay in full each month. Many of our regular monthly bills offered us the option for credit card autopay. We decided to go for it and now have our cell phone, DirecTv and a few other things billed directly to our Discover Card. Our cash back balance has doubled just by transitioning our bill paying to the Discover card. This strategy should work for other types of credit cards and should also increase your rewards, be it airline miles, or whatever rewards your card offers.

If you would like to read an article on the subject of credit card autopay, please check out The Benefits and Dangers of Paying Your Bills With Credit Card Autopay.

For us, at least, since we don't carry a balance on our card, we are actually generating income by paying some bills via credit card autopay. I suggest all my readers check into this subject further, since it is an easy way to make money. Especially with Discover Card because of their reward members. Often your $20 cash back bonus can be translated into more by opting for a gift card instead. It is a great way to go out for dinner on the cheap!

No comments: