Thursday, October 16, 2008

Associated Content - fill in the gaps to help make ends meet

I know that I've hit on Associated Content before as a way to generate some extra income, but I thought I would bring it up again for my new subscribers and as a refresher for older subscribers who may have forgotten the post, but have not forgotten the pinch of the economy as they struggle to make ends meet.

I first started writing on Associated Content about a year and a half ago. What drew me to the site (other than a wise friend who begged me to join) was that I could write and earn money. I do not profess to be the smartest person in the world. I don't have a completed college degree. I am just a mom. A mom with an opinion on many things. What I like about Associated Content is that I can write a piece and they will publish it, provided it isn't garbage. They do have standards, but for the most part, if you can coherently string sentences together, you will do just fine.

How it works is you write a piece and submit it for upfront payment. The piece has to be exclusive to Associated Content and unpublished anywhere else... online or in print. Usually a week or so later, you will receive either an offer or a decline. You can accept it, or decline it. Associated Content pays via PayPal and pays several times per week. What is so nice about that set up is that so long as you keep a steady stream of content submitted, you should receive a steady stream of income. Many Content Producers (CPs) work full or part-time elsewhere. Associated Content is not their "job" per se, but it helps generate that extra bit of income. I remember reading of one CP who said she wrote so that she could afford those extras for her kids --- dance lessons, sports fees, etc.

I write to generate some extra income. It is not tax-free, folks. If you earn $600 in a year, you are going to get a 1099-MISC form in the mail (they will ask for your SSN once you hit around $500 in income) and 1099 not withstanding, it is income and should be claimed on your tax return. Last year, I earned about $500 and this year I am over $500 already. I earned that money through upfront payments and also Associated Content's page view bonus program. I am currently Clout 9, which means that I earn $1.75 per thousand views. It may not seem like much, but I have in the past few months gotten between 35-50K views per month, so that adds up quickly.

If you would like to give Associated Content a try, please consider using my DIRECT REFERRAL LINK to sign up. If you do sign up, I will gladly try to answer any questions that you may have or at least (hopefully) be able to point you in the right direction. Many questions can be answered by reading through the site's TOS, which link can be found on the bottom of Associated Content's home page. If you have any questions, please feel free to post here in the comment section.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do they only pay through Paypal?

Pinching Abe said...

Yes, they only pay through PayPal. But you can easily get a PayPal account and transfer the money to your bank account, or, alternatively, pay their $1.50 to request a check. To be eligible for upfront payments, you also need to be a US citizen. Foreign contributors can only get page view bonus.

AC_Laura said...

Sound advice, especially as budgets get tighter. I hope people take you up on it!I just added you to my blogroll on the official AC blog. Stop by sometime.