Thursday, September 23, 2010

AriZona Kidz Arnold Palmer Half & Half (half iced tea/half lemonade) product review




AriZona Kidz Arnold Palmer Half & Half Iced Tea Lemonade is bottled by the AriZona Beverage Company.  AriZona Beverage Company gives back by donating proceeds from the sale of Kidz packages, including the Half & Half Iced Tea Lemonade, to the Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children. It's a company that gives back to kids, and that's something I love!  Recently, they sent me some of their product to try.

Front & rear view of product, showing nutrition information
Nutrition:

AriZona Kidz Arnold Palmer Half & Half Iced Tea Lemonade has 100% of the recommended daily value of Vitamin C and 70 calories in a 10 oz bottle.  It's also 100% natural -- meaning there are no preservatives, no artificial colors, and no artificial flavors.   There's also no caffeine in this product, which may appeal to some parents.  As a general rule, we limit the amount of caffeine that our children consume, so the fact that this product has no caffeine appealed to me.

How is it sweetened?  I'm glad you asked.  It is sweetened with pure cane sugar and Reb A, which is found in Stevia plants.  Reb A is a natural alternative to sugar that contains no calories and is actually 200 times sweeter than sugar.

Speaking of natural, the product is packaged in amber bottles to protect the flavor and natural antioxidant properties of the beverage from degradation because of light.  The bottle is recycleable as well, so don't think just because it is brown colored that it isn't able to be recycled.

Taste:

I provided my children and one of their friends with a bottle of the Half and Half Iced Tea Lemonade.  My oldest, 9, tried it and didn't care for it at all.  She's also my beverage snob.  My 5 year old did say he liked it, but never finished his bottle.  Neither of my kids typically drink iced tea and we generally don't offer them any because the iced tea I buy for my husband does contain caffeine.


The kids' friend, however, did like the drink and took hers home with her to finish.  She is an iced tea drinker and liked the mix of lemonade with iced tea.

What did I think?  I'm not an iced tea drinker, but I did try this product out myself.  I tasted a very light tea flavor with a lemonade finish.  I wouldn't say that either flavor overpowered the other though. It felt like it was half and half, just like the name. 

Final analysis:  Is it Fun and Healthy?

I probably wouldn't buy this product for a younger child's lunch, but I do think the tween and teen might enjoy a bottle of AriZona Kidz Arnold Palmer Half & Half Iced Tea Lemonade in their lunch.  There's no caffeine, which is a big plus, because you wouldn't want to send your kid back to their teacher jacked on caffeine! 


The tea contains antioxidant properties and is only 70 calories for 10 ounces.  A soda has more calories and won't have 100% of the daily value of Vitamin C.  As an occasional beverage choice, I do think that this product would be a good fit for older kids' lunches.


Disclosure:  AriZona Beverage Company provided me with samples of their product at no cost to me for the purposes of review.  I did not receive compensation for posting this blog review and the opinions stated herein are my own or related to comments made others who tasted this product.  The nutritional information was taken from the product and/or a press release provided to me by the company.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

These sound Great! I've seen the regular Arizona's but never these...thanks for posting