Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Word Wednesday update: Loving to read



This week has been a bit harder to make the time to read with my son.  I know, excuses... excuses.... but that's the way life goes sometimes.  We also lose a bit of time on Wednesday nights because of religious education now that CCD is back in session.  We traveled this weekend too, so that took some time away as well.  But we're back on track with Stepping Stones Together and making some progress.

An observation that I've made is that my son is reading more strongly.  He knows words that he learned from school, but haven't yet come home on his sight word list.  How he knew "frightened" is beyond me, but it probably came up at school.  Kids this age are little sponges.

The B Series books are a bit longer and if you read too many in a row, your child can get bored.  I found this out last night when he begged for 3 new books, but was less than enthused by the time we hit number 4 because we needed to re-read the first two.  Of course, he'd been sent home a book to read for homework and we'd read that one twice.  So perhaps he had some book overload?

I wanted to mention that even if your child is in kindergarten learning to read that you should still consider Stepping Stones Together and use it along side what your child is learning from his teacher at school.  From what I see, the high frequency words that they are learning in school overlap in the Stepping Stones Together books.  So, more often than not, the SST books have those sight words my son has learned or is learning in there.  Reinforcing the sight words is a great way to study them without flashing a card in front of them!

If I haven't already mentioned this in the past, I think that the Stepping Stones Together program has definitely sparked my son's imagination too.  He recently made a book (like we do for the SST books when we print them out) about sticks.  "What can you do with sticks?"  The little genius even made a page showing the little pig's house with them and illustrated that.  Granted, we wrote the words for him, but he illustrated the whole thing.  He even made me write some questions on the back like the SST books have on them.  Too funny!  But I think he got the idea that reading a book is as much fun as making up your own story.

This blog post is part of a series of posts that I am doing about my experience with Stepping Stones Together.  Please check back each Wednesday for a Wordy Wednesday post and catch up on past weeks' progress by reading the posts tagged "Stepping Stones Together".

If you are interested in learning more about the Stepping Stones Together program, please visit their site by clicking here.

Disclosure:  This is not a paid post.  This series of Wordy Wednesday posts is based upon my own experience (or that of my son) with regard to the SST program.  While I did receive a free membership via another blog contest, the opinions stated herein are 100% my own. 

No comments: