Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Extreme Couponing Series Debut: April 6 at 9 PM

You know, I have never seen the Extreme Couponing shows that have now led to them being picked up as a series.  On Wednesday, April 6 at 9 PM, Extreme Couponing will premiere on TLC.  I've couponed for years, but in viewing the trailer on the EW.com site, I can't say as I have ever had that much stockpiled at once.  I think the only item I really had a shelf full of was Sunsilk, which I got free after ECB and coupon a few summers ago.  I donated the lion's share to a charity, gave away bottles to friends and family and used the rest.  I might have one bottle of conditioner left.

I wonder if the Extreme Couponers might have a touch of hoarding?  When you think of hoaders, you probably envision something like a completely cluttered house with stacks and stacks of junk everywhere with not a single couch cushion free to sit on.  Unless you're running your couponing like a business (did that lady in the video say 1,100 inserts?), then there has to be a line where stockpiling crosses into hoarding.  If you get a great steal on toilet paper and can get 3 years worth for pennies, then I guess that's just savvy penny pinching.  But if you keep buying toilet paper even after you have 3 years worth, then maybe you are hoarding and need to address that.

What say you?  Have you seen the show and have an opinion?  How much is too much of a stockpile?  Or is the instability of the economy a good excuse to keep years worth of supplies on hand?  Let me know!  Let's discuss!

2 comments:

Marie Anne said...

I've not seen the show but I can see where people who are prone to compulsive issues could succumb to taking couponing too far. Saving a buck is great, but when it becomes an obsession or otherwise interferes with life, you need to take step back. If shelves of stockpiled goods take over the baby's nursery, you have a problem.

Niurka said...

Ditto Marie