Thursday, July 14, 2011

Kellogg's new Gluten Free Rice Krispies: What did I think?



Kellogg's has a new Gluten Free Rice Krispies cereal on the market now - something I've wanted for years.  I wasn't able to find it locally to me, so I snagged a box at a grocery store while I was on vacation in Pennsylvania.   What did I think?

How Kellogg's Gluten Free Rice Krispies tasted...

First off, these aren't like regular Rice Krispies in that the gluten free variety is made with brown rice.  There was a slight difference in taste, but, overall, it was fairly close.  I found them slightly chewier than the regular kind too and felt the need to eat up quickly before my bowl was soggy.

But what about the Snap, Crackle, and Pop?

Anyone who eats Rice Krispies knows about the signature snap, crack, and pop that your bowl does in the first few moments after you pour the milk on top.  There was snapping, cracking, and popping, but to a lesser degree.  My bowl quit talking to me long before I finished.  However, it was nice to hear that cereal music since I'd missed it so much.

Price!

I'm hoping that it will eventually make it to my area stores and even go on sale.  The box that I got was about $5, give or take, but it wasn't a pathetically small box either since I got a standard 12 oz box.  The pricing was in line with the other Kellogg's cereals on the shelf of similar size.

Amazon...

You can buy Kellogg's Rice Krispies Gluten Free Cereal, Whole Grain Brown Rice, 12-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 4) at Amazon.com.  Subscribe and Save to get get 15% off the regular price, which gets you four boxes for $13.52 ($3.38 per box).  This is something that I may do since I do love Rice Krispie squares.

2 comments:

Sugarpuffish said...

I hope we get these in the UK

Barb said...

I also love the treats/squares. I'm glad they are making this now gluten free as it helps it be more diabetic friendly too. I wish since we all like to make rice krispy treats that we could buy a bulk size for mixing up into squares at a lower price than using it for cereal. That would be good.