Thursday, February 23, 2012

Taboo game review: Adult fun for parties


A lot of games are for kids, and not adults.  Taboo, however, is for adults only!  Not because of the subject matter, but mainly because of the skill and knowledge you need to play the game.  My husband and I recently played Taboo, and here are our thoughts on this Hasbro game.

Game rating:  Adult

Most certainly, this game should be played by adults and you need more than just two to play.  4 or more is best since the opposing team will need to know the taboo words and buzz you out should you slip.  Rolling the die adds a little extra something to your turn as it can be harder to impart to your partner what your word is if you can't use your hands.  Even better, rolling the die and getting extra time to have your word guessed.

To make this game more fun for everyone, split yourself away from your spouse and be on opposing teams.  After 15 years of marriage, my hubby can read me like a book and there are some references you can make that would make the game too easy (one such when we played was --- "Moose A. Moose does not like this...." and he knew immediately that it was candy corn.  I guess we watched far too much kid TV.)

The game was fairly easy to play and some words were harder than others due to the taboo words you couldn't say.  I almost felt like I was on the $25,000 Pyramid!  I liked that you have a variety of legal ways to give clues... be it one word clues, phrases, or more unique ways like singing if you need to. 

All in all, Taboo would make an adult gathering interesting and fun.

Taboo can be purchased at retailers for approximately $26.99.  

Disclosure:  Hasbro provided me with a complimentary Taboo game for the sole purpose of review.  I was not paid to write this review, nor was I required to write a positive review.  The opinions expressed are my own or related to my family's experience with this product.

No comments: