Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pepsi NEXT: No aspartame after taste (product review)

Pepsi NEXT has hit the shelves at my local Walmart and I, being eager to taste this new Pepsi product, snapped up a 1-liter bottle for $1.  I grew up drinking Pepsi, though I've migrated mostly to Coke and Dr. Pepper, mainly for taste preferences.

What did I think of Pepsi NEXT?  Here are a few thoughts...

Image courtesy of Pepsico
How'd it taste?  Well, it tasted better than I thought it would, actually.  I tried Dr. Pepper's Ten (though not marketed to women - and I find their advertising slogan of 'Not for Women' offensive, and short-sighted on their part to blatantly advertise that it's not for those of us who do the majority of grocery shopping.) and did not care for it, nor did my spouse (the so-called target audience).  I was prepared for Pepsi NEXT to remind me of Dr. Pepper Ten, but it didn't.  I could taste a lot more cola flavor than typical Pepsi, a taste that one would find in a generic cola or a watered down Pepsi fountain drink you might get at a fast food joint.

However, I have to acknowledge that I liked the taste of Pepsi NEXT better than regular Pepsi, mainly because it tasted less acidic to me.  If I drink regular Pepsi, it kind of burns going down.  This didn't do that for me and I could focus my attention on the cola taste instead.

If I pitted Pepsi NEXT against Throwback Pepsi, it would be a close call.  Throwback has more of a natural sugar taste, but the Pepsi NEXT has more of a cola taste.   The blend of the sweeteners doesn't come across as too sugary, yet though there's aspartame, I didn't taste that diet soda after taste I normally can discern in diet sodas.

Pepsi NEXT sweeteners:  Pepsi NEXT is a "diet" soda (60% less sugar), and it does contain aspartame, so the normal warning for Phenylketonurics appears on the label.  There are actually three sweeteners -- aspartame, sucralose, and acesulfame potassium -- listed in the ingredients.   You can view all the ingredients by product on Pepsico's beverage website here and compare.   The blend of sweeteners does seem to be a winning combo, since I didn't have an after taste, other than cola.


Pepsi NEXT taste testing:  Walmarts across the country will be offering Pepsi NEXT samples so you can test drive this new soda yourself.  Check the Pepsi NEXT Facebook page for details on when a sampling event will be at a Walmart near you by inputting your zip code. 

Calories:  You'll consume 40 calories (or less) per 8 fluid ounces of Pepsi NEXT, according to the label.  Regular Pepsi has 100 calories per 8 fluid ounces.  With less calories and a good taste, Pepsi NEXT could be a good alternative for people like me who don't like the after taste of diet sodas, but don't want all of those empty calories that a traditional soda contains.

Disclosure:  As stated, I purchased Pepsi NEXT on my own.  This review was not solicited by Pepsi and is not compensated.  The opinions are my own.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried Pepsi Next today and immediately tasted artificial sweetners. I say go back to the drawing board.

Anonymous said...

I guess you don't realize the dangers of artificial sweeteners?

Anonymous said...

aspartame is very bad for you don't just take my word on it read up a little on it: http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

I'm not sure on those other sweeteners they added but my guess is there bad as well.

Anonymous said...

TaSTES exactly like diet pepsi to me and everyone else I know that has tried it.

Anonymous said...

I could have gone without your rant about the Dr pepper ten ad. I could give a shit less if you were offended or not. I actually enjoy them. Just sayin. Don't waste the readers time with that nonsense.

Anonymous said...

It seems everything these days is "bad" and no one can tell us which is better of each evil. Sugar and hfcs are loaded with bad/empty calories and aspartame is 0 calories but does who knows what to our bodies (personally, i love it but it gives me a headache so i limit my intake) and sucralose (splenda) can cause joint problems if taken too much. I think pepsi is trying to please everyone by using less of both but all in conjunction with each other for taste. I say all in moderation if we r gonna drink soda. Since all apparently have something wrong with them.

Anonymous said...

Oh this is definitely a fail. I got a free 2 liter with a coupon and I am so happy that I didn't have to pay for it or I would have been very upset. This stuff is so nasty. I can usually deal with a diet soda, but don't drink em, but the aspartame in this drink is just awful. I've always been a pepsi fan but this mess tastes horrible. Tried to find an link to complain to the company and guess what, surprising none…Go figure. The way they want you to contact them is thru facebook, twitter, etc….Really.

Anonymous said...

I heard about this a few months ago, but the info was limited. SO I waited. I did not appreciated what PepsiCo did to me. Creating an anticipation of something more natural - like the throwback products - but then it hits the shelf and it has every chemical possible in it.

I drink mostly water, as I actually have an allergic reaction to the artificial sweeteners, leaving me with Water, Corn Syrup, and Sugar.

Find a way to make a cola natural, with less chemical and less calorie, please.

About the DP 10 rant - I can appreciate your position, as I noticed it right off. I think that is what they are going for... Getting the "Guy's Guy", along with the "Rebel Woman". People follow those two groups. Sell to them, and you sell to everybody.

Thanks for the write up.

Ron

chas said...

same nasty after taste as diet pepsi,go back to the drawing board

rj said...

I tried it today free after register reward at walgreens.

I liked it.

In the past, I have wondered why something like this wasnt marketed. I even tried mixing a regular & a diet with not so great results.

The Next hits the spot. And while Im not a big cola drinker, I can see myself buying a 12 pack if & when they are on sale for $2.50 or less.

Its milder than full strengh pepsi but without the horrible aftertaste of a diet drink.

I just fear that in 6-9 months, it wont be on the shelves because not enough people buy it.

Anonymous said...

Everything is bad for you now day, so why really care about aspertame? I love Pepsi next. Ima die anyway some day.

sm said...

Best Word! Stick to regular Soda or Just Don't drink soda period!

sm said...

Best Word! Stick to regular Soda or Just Don't drink soda period!

Anonymous said...

I don't care for artificial.sweeteners but I really doubt a website called "sweetpoison" is impartial

Unknown said...

I guess they've changed the ingredients. Drinking this for the first time today mainly due to there being no aspartame