My kids are used to eating lower sugar products, though, mainly because my husband is a diet soda drinker and chooses low/no sugar fruits for his own lunch.
What did the kids think?
The kids were a hard sell. My daughter told me she liked the diced pears a little, but not the apples with caramel (said with a 'Mr Yuk' type of face). She complained about opening them and having the juice splash all over. She disliked that more than the taste. My son turned his nose up at them after hearing his sister's harsh review and wouldn't try them.
|Diced Apples and Pears in light syrup - Caramel flavor. I heated these in the microwave and actually liked the taste much better that way.|
What did Mom think?
I can see where my daughter was coming from. I adore caramel and seek out products that have a caramel flavor to try. I didn't like the caramel flavored fruit either. It was a very strong taste and not a hint of flavor, like the vanilla and spice pears, which had a more subtle flavor. When I opened these, I didn't once do it without slopping the juice. I have passed that suggestion along to the company representative and hope they find a way to allow me to open the product without having to change my shirt (once) or the table cloth (second time) or feel the need to open it over the sink (aha, I finally got smart the third time...)
Savings! Don't we all love a good coupon?
Would you like to give these a try? Save a bit of cash by stopping by the Del Monte® 's Facebook page and playing their “Flavor Boom” Facebook game, where you'll fill up cups of fruit and other healthy ingredients to score points. The higher your score, the harder the game gets! You'll also be able to print a coupon after your game ends by registering with Del Monte®. Once you complete the registration, you can print the money saving coupon.
One winner will receive a prize pack containing one package of each variety, plus a $1 coupon off. Here's what you need to do to enter:
This giveaway is open to U.S. residents in the continental US (lower 48) who are 18 and older, as this prize can only be shipped to a U.S. address. Void where prohibited and/or if your state has different age limit to participate in this contest. This giveaway ends at 11:59 PM on October 20, 2012 with the winner chosen on or about October 21, 2012 via Random.org. Winner will have 48 hours to respond to an email requesting shipping information. If winner does not respond within that time frame, I must choose a different winner. Be sure that I have a way to reach you - leave your email in the mandatory comment or ensure that your email is available in your public profile. If you win, I need to be able to contact you. Oh, one more thing: This contest is not affiliated with Facebook or Twitter.
- Mandatory entry: Let me know which Del Monte® Fruit Cup® that you'd like to try first: Del Monte® Fruit Cup®Diced Pears in extra light syrup with vanilla or spice and Del Monte® Fruit Cup®Diced Apples in extra light syrup with Caramel. Leave a comment letting me know which one you'd open first if you won the prize pack.
- Visit the Del Monte® Facebook page and give them a like! While you're there, go ahead and try the Flavor Boom game.
- Follow Del Monte® on Twitter. If you already do, just let me know.
- Follow me on Twitter. If you already do, just let me know.
- Become my Google Friend (right side bar). If we are already friends, just leave a comment letting me know.
- Tweet my giveaway on Twitter and include @PinchingAbe in your tweet. Sharing tools at the bottom of this blog post. You can do this once daily. Leave a comment w/link to your tweet.
- "Like" Making Ends Meet on Facebook Come back and leave me a comment letting me know we're now Facebook friends.
- Sign up to receive special offers from Del Monte®. Once you've signed up, just leave me a comment letting me know that you've done so.
- Suggest a flavor. What fruit flavors would you like to see Del Monte tackle next? I would love to see something exotic with cardamon.