Monday, June 17, 2013

@Kroger Moist & Tender Pork Loins review #porkbeinspired (#imabzzagent & #GotADiscount)

One of my most recent BzzCampaigns from BzzAgent was coupons to try some of Kroger's Silver Platter Moist & Tender Pork products, as part of their Pork: Be Inspired campaign.  In general, I buy pork tenderloins or chops that don't have bones because I prefer the leaner and don't like cutting around bones.  I received coupons to facilitate my purchase of Kroger's Moist & Tender Pork.

This past weekend, I stopped into a Kroger at Short Pump, near Richmond, Virginia, to stock up on groceries and check out their pork selection.  I was happy to find some pork ribs at a good price (for a future dinner) and also individually packaged pork tenderloins on sale.

I love the idea of individual packages of pork loins, mainly because they typically come packaged with two together.  This enables smaller (or larger) families to adjust to the number of loins that they need, without having to over buy.  These were also incredibly lean, something I appreciate.  I do not like fatty meat and even my husband (who used to cut meat at a members-only store) commented at what a nice cut these were.  He knows a good cut of meat when he sees it (and trust me, bring home a bad cut of meat and you'll hear about it!)

I wish I had taken pictures, but I will share how I made my pork tenderloin roast that my husband and kids raved over.

You'll need to pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a glass baking dish, place pork loins in dish.

Next, add one can of chicken broth (I like Swanson's broth)

Chop up a half an onion, a small stalk of celery (I used celery hearts), and add in a couple handfuls of carrots.  Celery and onion first, so they'll go into the broth and carrots more on top of the loins than in the liquid broth.  Salt and pepper the vegetables.  I am kicking myself for not taking a photo.  I was half way through my plate of food before I realized I wanted to take a photo.  Oops!


(Not my dinner, though I would love to try this too!)

Cover with aluminum foil and bake for one hour.  Check to ensure the carrots are done, but not mushy.  Take internal temperature of pork and if not at the recommended guidelines, add time.  (I added 15-20 minutes and increased the temp to 400 degrees for the last 15-20 minutes to hurry it along.)  Always use a meat thermometer to ensure you have cooked your pork products to the recommended temps!

And just what are those temps, you ask?  According to the National Pork Board, it's recommended that you cook loins and chops to 145 degrees Fahrenheit (for medium rare) and 160 degrees Fahrenheit (for medium), followed by a 3-minute rest.  Don't serve just out of the oven, let it sit a few minutes.  Lean pork doesn't need to reach higher temps than that to be cooked to perfection.

Overall, my family raved over dinner and in rare form, the kids cleaned their plates.  I was struck by how moist and tender the pork loins were, almost like a juicy beef steak!  For once, my pork wasn't dry.  I definitely see myself buying more of these tenderloins, even if I have to make a special trip.

Can't wait to pull the ribs out of the freezer sometime soon!  I just know they'll be moist and tender too.   There are lots of inspiring pork recipes on Pinterest that you can repin to your own board(s) for dinner inspiration.

Disclosure:  I am a BzzAgent, which means I sometimes receive free or discounted products to try.  In this case, I received some coupons to use/share to purchase Kroger's Moist & Tender pork.  The opinions are 100% my own.  I don't rave over products I don't like, so you can rest assured that I genuinely had a yummy experience with this particular product.  I wasn't compensated to write this post; however, I likely will receive MyPoints for sharing my experience with my readers.

No comments: