Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Saving money: Can you or should you go cellular only and drop your land line telephone service?

For an online contest hosted by Associated Content, I wrote the following article in hopes of winning a $5,000 prize. The judging isn't over yet and for the most part, I don't think I have a chance at winning. The theme of the Contest was "What's Next?" and we were to pick a highly searchable topic to expand on why we feel that the topic will be a hot search topic on the Internet.

I got my article idea from a relative who told me that they were ditching their land line telephone in favor of going cellular only. She did the math and was able to dump her land line and DSL and pay $20 less by going with a wireless modem that works via her USB port in her laptop computer. She's not alone either. Many young Americans are passing up a land line in favor of cellular and wireless technology.

For those interested in reading my submission, please comment here and let us know if you are cellular only or hanging on to your land line? Do you know anyone who doesn't have a land line and uses only their cell phone? What would it take for you to dump your land line? I am interested in your answers! For me, having two kids, I feel safer having a land line in case of emergency; however, I don't use it very often (unless you count the DSL) and if I could have cable internet, I'd probably jump on it in a heart beat!

My submission: Cell Phones to Make Landline Telephones Obsolete

1 comment:

Admin said...

We went all cell while on the road. We have our internet through one of our phones and it is at least same price as if we had landline. Hoping to go to high speed sat internet, if so you can get phone for 20.00 a year through pc and magic jack!